Toy Train Table

The toy train table in Eleanor’s room is one of the most frequently used spots in our home. It’s big enough for both kids to play with at the same time, usually without too much conflict. It looks good in the room, in that classic toy way. It’s fun for the kids, and it’s fun for me. Seriously — I love rearranging the train tracks. It’s so satisfying when a good layout comes together.

I’m telling you. It’s highly likely that I will someday become an obsessed scale model-making enthusiast.

I wrote about the best additions to a train table layout today over on Babble. Give it a look if you’re in need of some ideas. You know, for the children.

1. says

What kind of table do you use? Is there anything special about it other than it’s a good height for kids to play at? I have a coffee table I was thinking of re-purposing as a train table, but I don’t have a good sense of whether it’s a good size/shape for it. Any recommendations for tables?

2. Kathryn Humphreys says

Glad to see we’re not the only parents who don’t worry about dressing the little brother in pink occasionally :)

3. says

I don’t have any kids, but am a therapist working with kids and get a little too much into the train track setting up! I’m glad I am not the only one, it’s beautiful!

4. Michelle says

we have that same table!! And a budding train engineer. Great suggestions for train collection building!

I wish the table still had the option for a mat/table covering like the old pictures show. Have you found the top to be durable with all the train building going on? I know it’s a kids’ table so I’m prepared for some scratching but I was hoping to minimize that a little.

I tried a piece of felt but it was too slippery (or would bunch up if I put some grippy material under it). I have been thinking I just need to let it be…

5. says

Adorable! We recently replaced our Ikea Lack coffee table and have decided to repurpose it as a lego/ train table for our son. We will remove the legs and the bottom shelf and screw casters directly to the table top so we can slide it under the bed in his room when he is not using it. I am excited for when he gets a bit older and can enjoy it!

6. says

I love this- it’s so nostalgic. I remember playing with my ‘Thomas the Train’ set when I was a child, I’m sure your little ones will make great memories with it as well<3

7. says

Daww I remember how exciting it was when we would get new pieces for our train set. One of my earliest memories was of carefully picking out my older brother’s fourth birthday present, a new wood train station. I was so proud I paid for it “all by myself” with my two hard earned pennies (years later I realized, I suppose my mom must have done a little chipping in while I wasn’t looking…).

I love having dinner guests with little kids over because it’s an excuse to take out the box from the garage and go to town with the tracks. :D

8. says

We are also mad for trains in this house. My little boy only like making tracks on the floor however which means I am continually climbing over bits of sodor.
    Thanks for the tips

9. says

I love that your table is such a dark finish! When we got ours, the only options were white and a really really light faux woodgrain. At any rate, I see a Playmobil tree in that last picture. My daughter was never much into her trains, but she loves her Playmobil zoo. The Barbies, the Polly Pockets, the Littlest Pet Shoppe animals, everybody plays on the train table with the Playmobil zoo.